Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill

Default JT #2-1/2 means exactly that!

Not sure if anyone else posted on this (I'm 2500 posts behind in my reading)
but the measurements of the J2-1/2 sure do look the same as the J6 which you
don't show.

If they are the same, you can get a J6 chuck...

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
(908) 542-0244

V8013-R

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I finally removed the chuck from the spindle on my circa 1973 AMT 1/2"
bench
drill press -- the one that has been the subject of several threads
including one that concluded that I was absolutely crazy for believing a
nameplate that said it has a JT#2-1/2 spindle.

Well, here are the measurements -- along with specifications I've gotten
from the web

JT# Large Dia Small Dia Length
#2 .5590" .4876" .8750"
#2short .5488" .4876" .7500"
#2-1/2 .677" .625" 1.055" --- my AMT
#3 .8100" .7461" 1.2188

It's also not anything close to any Morse taper either, nor a B+S.

I guess it really is a JT#2-1/2 and nothing else.

Which means that there's no way that I can replace the chuck with anything
better today.

Also, in removing the chuck, I discovered that the set screw that holds
the
pulley to the shaft was missing so all speeds under load were slower than
thought they were. I doubt that this had any effect on the runout, but I
will measure it after replacing the chuck just to make sure that I haven't
made it worse.

Norm