Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Maxprop

Default Skew problems

"Derek Andrews" wrote in message

snip

Those are most of the common problems I see with beginners. If you can be
more specific about the problem, like exactly what you are trying to do,
and the conditions under which the catch occurs, please provide more
information and I will try to help. Hands on instruction is a much more
effective solution though.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com - a blog for my customers
http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com/TheToolrest/ - a blog for woodturners

Many thanks to all who responded. I feel very fortunate to have access to
such a talented and experienced group of turners all in one place.
Throughout your answers I detected more than a few mistakes I've been
making, and I've just spent several hours implementing quite a bit of the
advice given. I ripped four 16" sections of 2x4s and turned all eight 2x2
sections into shavings and dust, and I'm happy to report that toward the end
the catches were few and far between. Progress is being made, thanks to you
folks. Please give yourselves a pat on the back from me--you deserve it.
And my wife is grateful to hear less epithet-laden language emanating from
the basement.

Alan Lacer's DVD is my next purchase, as is a Stebcenter drive center and a
3/4" skew. I hope to have this problem licked soon.

Thanks again,

Max