Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Default Advise on mill/drills

Thanks for the link to KBC Tools. The A1-S models are a wee bit bigger
than I'd like to take down the steps.

Right now the Seig X3 [or Super X3 if I can find one] looks to be the
contender.

Trevor Jones wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:
A1-S is made by who? I've seen references to it, some specs would be good.

Its more of a style than a specific model anymore, as there are a pile
of outfits making them now.
Pretty much all the outfits selling mill/drills sell an A1S style mill.

Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G3102
http://www.grizzly.com/products/G9977

KBC Tools
http://www.kbctools.com/usa/main.cfm (its on page 974, top left
corner)

etc.,etc.

The real fast rundown on mill/drills is that there are a bunch of
suppliers that will sell you a machine, some machines better built than
others. Tiawan built tends to be better than mainland China built. Also
a bit more money. There are a couple of the benchtop mills that are of
similar capacities but vary greatly in the amount of weight that is in
them. The RF 25 type vs. RF 30 type specifically, with the RF 30 having
a considerably larger column and heavier castings. The RF 45 style mill
is about as big as the benchtop models get, and it has a dovetail column
and a geared head. The A1S mills could really be called a semi-benchtop
mill, as they are really a bit too tall to put on a bench, but not
really able to be placed on the floor without being on a stand. If you
are minly interested in really small work, the wood mill from Grizzly
has a higher top (and bottom) speed.

Cheers
Trevor Jones