Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Skew problems

If you are having problems using skew chisels.......that probably just means
you are fairly normal in motor skill development, likely well-adjusted and
happy in most other aspects of your life.......and much like a whole lot of
other woodturners.

I'm certainly no expert with the skew, myself. Personally, I find that
larger (longer cutting edge) skews, say the 1" size or larger, are usually
less prone to catches. I like the heavier traditional skews (rectangular
cross section) rather than the newer and lighter weight oval skews. I doubt
the length of your skew chisels has any bearing on their propensity for
"catches". Watch you cut and make sure you are doing the cutting with the
lower one-third of the cutting edge.

There is a DVD by Alan Lacer, entitled "The Skew Chisel" that you might find
useful. Watch the DVD, then find some cheap wood and practice, practice,
practice. If that doesn't help, avoidance might. If you switch to turning
bowls and hollow vessels, you'll rarely have need for a skew chisel. Good
luck.

Barry

"Maxprop" wrote in message
link.net...
I'm still having difficulty with skew chisels. I seem to get far too many
catches, despite being very careful and keeping the bevel rubbing whenever
possible. I've even taken to honing them after sharpening.

My question: my skews are fairly short and light in weight. Could this
be a problem? Would longer, heavier skews improve my chances of not
catching, or simply make the catches more painful? Any suggestions will
be appreciated.

Thanks,

Max