Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin

Default Screwdriver bits for brace

Mike Marlow wrote:
"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

You probably won't find any #24 screws around, nor even any #18s or
#16s. They are for really heavy jobs, like mounting bench vises.
Don't understand the part about machine screws, though. Are you using
them in tapped holes in metal? That shouldn't require much torque. Or
are you for some reason using them in wood?

No - sheet metal screws. I'm sorry, I used the wrong word and didn't catch
it when I re-read before posting.

You are right about the #3 Phillips bits - they do make them. I'm sure
you know the importance of fitting a screwdriver to a slotted screw,
and I've never seen a 1/4" hex bit large enough for, say, a #14 screw.
I was wrong about the #3 Phillips, though.

Yes indeed - I do appreciate the importance of fitting the right sized
driver to the head. So tell me - and again, this is not in the spirit of
argument, it's in the spirit of genuine question - will the bit used for a
#14 or perhaps even a #16 (the bit you would use in a brace) not chuck into
a 3/8 "or 1/2" drill motor chuck?

It sounds like the drill motor is the perfect tool for you. Horses for
courses.

Probably better said that it has served me well in what I have done. Don't
want you to take from this that I believe it's the ultimate answer. It may
always be a good tool for what I do and I may never encounter a situation
where another tool would truly be a better alternative, but all the same it
is interesting to understand the real differences and benefits of another
approach.

--

-Mike-

Mike, you've just about convinced me. Especially as I get older, I
realize that I shouldn't be taxing myself with hand tools when I can
use power ones.

Chris suggested I look at a Milwaukee Super Hole Shooter. I think he
might have been kidding somewhat, as it seems a tad large for driving
wood screws, and I don't know where I would find screwdriver bits with
#3 Morse taper shanks. Perhaps he had in mind a taper adapter with a
drill chuck on it, but that gets a bit heavy and awkward.

What sort of drill motor and bits should I be considering?

John Martin