Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default Advise on mill/drills

My dad doesn't want DRO, I almost need it.
"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
I read that Rong Fu is the most copied drill/mill maker, just that some
makers don't copy it too well.

The Seig X3 weighs in about 165 to 198 Kg, depending on options. Who makes
a DRO that fits it without too much trouble?

My Dad is of the opinion that a DRO is not necessary, but I loved being
able to zero and then crank 'er right down to the thousandth...

3 axis is where it's at.

Brent Philion wrote:
From what i Can see Rong fu seems to the the predominant MillDrill OEM

At least up here in Canada it seems almost everything being sold that
isnt heavy industrial is a rong fu or a rebadge

Busybee (Craftex) uses RF31's as does King Canada

There is a local store here that sells "honest" Rong Fu's so i might
consider the RF40

I've seen the Sieg X3 as another option but are there other
manufacturers of similar sized mill drills? OR really small (1000 pound)
real mills

On Sat, 25 Mar 2006 18:06:41 -0600, Louis Ohland
wrote:

Interesting [stealth technology in a shop...]. Any other contenders?
Rong Fu has some interesting mills...

JR North wrote:
If you really want a gear head mill/drill, this is a good choice. Of
course, depending on when and where it is made, quality is variable. I
was lucky to get a good one. The gearbox and quill is smooth and
relatively quite, the bed trams out to .0007 both ways, and the motor
seems very good. Mine gets lots of use. Note these weigh in at about
1K.
Rigidity of the machine is very good. The handwheels are 0 settable,
and repeatability is more a function of skill than machine tightness.
Despite the seemingly major drawback of losing index if the head is
unlocked for moving, I find a little forethought in setup eliminates
for the most part this limitation.
Here's a link to a mill table I made for mine:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...retired_files/
See table.txt and the associated jpgs
JR
Dweller in the cellar

Louis Ohland wrote:

Anyone have a pointer to a comparison of the mill/drill machines? I
haven't the room for a knee mill downstairs [oh, MightyMax, forgive
me!]

Items I looked at:
Harbor Freight 42827-0VGA
Grizzly G0463

Rules of the game:
20 A 115v.
Must get down stairs (bed, headstock and parts separate)
Rigidity.
Repeatability.

I'm not hot on the circular support with a quill on the side [a la the
drill press]. It would be nice if this puppy could be picked up within
roughly 200 miles of Beloit, WI. Gearhead over belt drive.