Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mogweed.

Default CH or DG - priority?

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mogweed. wrote:
Current (and most likely future) gas prices are making it more
economically viable to replace the boiler now before it finally dies.
Putting a new boiler on to 33-year old stuff that's full of sludge and
whatever doesn't seem to be a good idea though and, given that modern
rads seem to be more efficient, I'm thinking we'll go for a whole new
system. An added bonus means that, as the new boiler will be in a
different room, we could block up the 8-inch diameter air vent that the
wind literally howls through into our living room and round our feet -
bloody Vladivostok, I'm telling you.

Don't think there's any difference in actual efficiency between one rad
over another. A low water content one will heat up more quickly - but also
cool more quickly. They might be more efficient space wise, though. But if
the old ones are still sound they can be cleaned, and inhibitor will
prevent further corrosion.

So, what's the priority - CH or DG?

I'd do the CH. The draughty windows could be improved for pennies as a
temporary measure.

Hmm, good point Dave, thanks.

Mogweed