Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Contrasting oil versus tank LPG central heating costs

Robert wrote:
In article , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Robert wrote:
In article , Andrew Mawson
writes
Has anyone done the figures contrasting running costs of oil or LPG in
a big tank for central heating?

Place we may be moving to has no gas, it was oil back in the 1980's
but the current owner has totally destroyed the C/H system - cut off
copper pipes flush with the solid floors - and installed wall mounted
electric convector heaters "oh they don't cost much to run at all" -
now do I believe that ! Also they are all on the 1970's ring mains so
no doubt grossly overloaded. As it's going to be a total strip out and
refurbish I will probably put a wet system in and fully re-wire but
which fuel is the best choice - no problems with siting tanks as it's
a large plot.

AWEM

Whether you install LPG or oil it's going to cost you an arm and a leg
in installation costs that will never be repaid by any savings that you
make on the reduced running costs of LPG or oil compared to electric
heating. I would suggest that the very first thing that you need to do
is have the existing system checked out by an electrician. It may be
perfectly OK.

Utter ********.

With heating bills up around 1200 quid a year for electric, and 600 quid
a year for oil, and probably 700 quid a year for LPG, in ten years you
will easily repay the costs of fuel run system. Thats just for a
smallish house.

Not to mention that fact that as far as I am concerned, s decent fuel
run CH system adds at least £8k to the property value.

Utter ********

My house is 1700 sq ft total floor area and uses 2000 litres of heating
oil a year. At 11.53 KW/litre for light heating oil that amounts to
11530 KW a year.

Mine is 4000 sq ft and uses about 5000 liters a year.

Also remember that your oil boiler is at best only about 60% efficient.

The cost of 2000 litres of oil at my last fill was .38p per litre total
cost of £798 including 5% VAT.

My last fill of 2400 lites was 900 quid, and its getting worse.

I went lower because I assumed that a decentluy insulated house of half
te square footage could get by with a bit less.

Yours seems fairly poorly insulated.

As my boiler was checked at 93.1% efficiency at the last service that
means the actual total annual heating load for my house is 10737KW.

I very much doubt that it is, in overall energy terms.

If I were to have heated my house by electricity the price per unit at
that time was 6.75p with no standing charge.
The cost of 10737KW of electricity would have been £760.98 including VAT
- an annual saving of £37.02 when comparing electricity to oil.

At an annual loss of £37.02 I would therefore never recover the
installation costs of an oil heating system and would actually be
£370.20 out of pocket after ten years rather than breaking even as you
state.

Electricity is nearer 13p a unit right now.

There is no way that an electrical power station that runs at 50%
efficiency more or less can compete with a 60-70% efficient boiler.

YOur figures are plain wrong