Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland

Default Advise on mill/drills

A1-S is made by who? I've seen references to it, some specs would be good.

greybeard wrote:
"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Anyone have a pointer to a comparison of the mill/drill machines? I
haven't the room for a knee mill downstairs [oh, MightyMax, forgive me!]

Items I looked at:
Harbor Freight 42827-0VGA
Grizzly G0463

Rules of the game:
20 A 115v.

This is going to be the hard one, I have several woodworking machines that
are in this current range, and resetting breakers is a way of life.

Must get down stairs (bed, headstock and parts separate)

That's how my A1-S knee mill came down, not too bad with two people.

Rigidity.
Repeatability.

The second depends on the first here. The larger machines are fairly rigid,
I worked with one for more than ten years before buying the A1-S from KBC.
There is a learning curve, mostly finding out what the machine wants and
doesn't want.
I'm not hot on the circular support with a quill on the side [a la the
drill press]. It would be nice if this puppy could be picked up within
roughly 200 miles of Beloit, WI. Gearhead over belt drive.

There is a big price difference between the mill/drill and A1-S, a little
more than double. HOwever, KBC delivered my mill the day after I ordered
it, to Burlington, not far from you. I've had no complaints, the only
complaint I had with the mill/drill was the handwheels, they're diecast and
made as cheap as they can make them, I had go machine new ones out of
aluminum to replace them, but not really a big deal. Space requirements for
either are about the same, figure double the length of the table.

Rich.