Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Mike Marlow - a long update

Mike:

If anyone should feel like a proud Papa, you should. That's how I felt
when I watched the urethane drying perfectly on the 15 panel door. I
know the next one (or two!) might not go as well, but this one let me
know I am set. I will continue to brush doors as needed, but on bigger
projects when I have a lot to spray or if I have a client that insists
on it, I can now approach them with confidence.

As long as I have been doing this, working in the trades, repairs,
remodels, etc., it never ceases to amaze me how much I actually don't
know about the finer points of the other trades. And since I have been
in the trades, I am even more baffled by how little some actually know
about what they are doing. Remember, I couldn't find anyone here
locally that would get me going in the right direction with spraying
solvent based materials.

I still get a lot of pleasure when I learn something new, and I have
been at the the point in my life where I like sharing what I know for
some time. I tend to forget that most people in the trades learn how
to do one thing, and that's "their line of work". For them, what they
do is a job, nothing more. It is to the point around here that trim
carpenters don't know how to cut in a roof or set concrete forms (or
the other way around with the other guys) and as I found out, our
"latex" painters feel like oil painting is specialized work. Sheesh.
I remember when painters were "painters".

A couple of years ago I took my "stuff" to Houston and completely
trimmed out my sister's newly remodeled house with two part crown
molding, archways, new door casings, base and show molding, site made
window stools, and some on site custom trim for a couple of stand alone
areas. My brother in law is an engineer that writes safety manuals
procedural literature for the oil industry, so he isn't some knothead.
Quite the contrary, and on top of that he is a great guy. For all of
us that do that kind of work all day long, it was a mildly interesting
project, like most people doing their daily work. I was enjoying being
Uncle Robert to my nephew a lot more than doing the work.

But for my BIL, he was stunned. He felt like he was "watching the
master". I laughed my butt off when he would say things like that,
because when I am on my own turf, my fellow workers are like me, they
expect "good work". And my clients hire me for just that; it is what
they expect, not what they appreciate.

I showed my BIL how to cut moldings, how to shave them with a good saw,
how to mark and scribe outside corners for crown installation, how to
cope the inside joints, how to measure an RCH, all the stuff we all
take for granted. He had never shot a nail gun before; never used a
12" miter saw before... it was like working with a new helper. He
absolutely loved it, and actually took notes! I bought him a set of
leather nail bags, a speed square, and a few other necessities, and now
if we are going to work on his fence he puts "his rig" on. It makes me
laugh, but it also makes me feel good.

I am now doing the same thing with my nephew, who is five. He has a
tiny set of leather bags, a seven oz hammer, a big orange plastic speed
square, and a 12' tape. A giant carpenter's pencil and pair of goggles
and he is set. I even bought him a stainless steel mug like his
uncle's, mine for coffee, his for water. He feels like a pro already.
His tool tote with his tools in it is actually one of the few things he
actually takes care of, surprising at his age. I guess life is good
around here, too.

Before I forget, the HF gun I bought was the Central Pnuematic #91011.
I have the aforementioned Houston group coming in today for Mom's 77th
birthday or I would be out there spraying with it today.

Started with a new band and it's a band that plays much more
modern music than I'm accustomed to. Stretching me some. I am having
a lot
of fun with it though.

OK.. this says a lot about a person. What kind of music do you play?
What do you prefer to play? And do tell, what is the modern music that
is stretching you?

Can't wait to hear this one...

Robert