Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

Default Propane torches

On 23 Mar 2006 05:31:44 -0800, "
wrote:

need to do some brazing, but cant justify expensive kit.

Then get yourself to eBay, where such things are cheap and plentiful.

It appears that propane torches running at about 4 bar get hot enough
without an air supply. Does any one know if this is correct please?

Sort of. You don't need 4 bar, but you do need decent flow rates. Most
of all though, you need either oxy-propane, blown air or (cheapest) a
decent firebrick hearth. Some decent insulation and a few spare bricks
to pile above it is like doubling your torch output.
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/...ues/hearth.htm

If you can get an oxygen cylinder though, I just _love_ my oxy-propane
rig. Kit's cheap, it's the bottle rental that costs.

As eBay really is cheap and plentiful for new kit, then get yourself a
decent propane regulator, not an undersized caravan one.

What are the respectable makes? Rothenberger seems to be around a lot.
What about Silverline or Bullfinch??

Rothenberger are good. Bullfinch are *%^£ expensive. Silverline are as
good as you'd expect.