Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Ferguson

Default Skew problems

you might want to try Alan Lacer's video The skew, the dark side the
sweet side. He goes into allot of things that may help. I like the
dead center as a driver. You can slip the work depending on how tight
you make the tail stock. If you can grab the work a catch is not going
to be that bad.

Bruce

Maxprop wrote:
I'm still having difficulty with skew chisels. I seem to get far too many
catches, despite being very careful and keeping the bevel rubbing whenever
possible. I've even taken to honing them after sharpening.

My question: my skews are fairly short and light in weight. Could this be
a problem? Would longer, heavier skews improve my chances of not catching,
or simply make the catches more painful? Any suggestions will be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Max