Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,uk.rec.models.engineering
Doug White

Default Spotting Drills

"David Littlewood" wrote in message
In article , Tom Miller
writes

I tend to use sheet metal drills for hole
starting. They are very short and are double
ended. you can break twice as many for the same
price!

Sheet metal drills?

They are ground to a sort of a cusp - centre point and also cutting
edge at the periphery of the flutes

I've been looking for a supplier for these for decades, ever since I
tried some a friends father had. None of the drill vendors I've spoken
to have even heard of them. I even checked with several of the major US
manufacturers at the Eastech machine tool show a few years back.

Doug White