Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Screwdriver bits for brace

"John Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

I've been trying to follow your logic on this, Mike, and I've got to
admit I'm baffled.

Hmmmmm... then it was poorly articulated. My logic seemed quite clear to
me. But then it should, shouldn't it?

For small screws - say #6 through #10 - and particularly in softwoods,
your electric drill is fine. So is a plain screwdriver, a Yankee-type
ratchet screwdriver, or even a brace and bit. With the larger screws,
though - #14, #16, even #24 - a brace and screwdriver bit is the only
way to go.

#24 I'd have to check into. Off the top of my head I do not know what that
size is. I have though used my drill motor well beyond #10, and in other
than pine. Likewise, not just wood screws, but machine screws.

I just took a look at some #24 flat head wood screws. The head is 3/4"
wide, and a 1/2" Stanley screwdriver bit fits it pretty well. The bit
is actually about 5/8" wide but beveled to 1/2" at the tip. If I had a
lot of #24 screws to drive (or remove) I'd probably grind it back
somewhat to make it fit even better. I've never seen a bit for a drill
motor that will fit a screw that size - have you? Or even one for a
#14 slot, or for a #3 Phillips.

#14 slot - can't speak to that one. #3 Phillips - I have several tips right
in my drawer. They are quite common.

The bit brace is far more stable than an electric drill. It is longer,
and the pad is designed to be braced by not just your hand, but also by
your chest, thigh or even forehead if necessary. An electric drill is
difficult to brace in that way. And, that extra support from your
chest, thigh or forehead also translates into extra pressure holding
the bit in the screw slot - which keeps it from camming out.

Several people have stated this so I have to believe there is truth to it.
I did wonder though, how many of those who spoke did so not out of
experience, but out of having heard it said. I know some of the guys do
work with these tools daily and really do have first hand experience. I'm
comfotable saying that it does not seem like the brace would be more stable
to me, but it's based on my use of a brace and first hand knowledge that a
brace can be quite an akward tool if not perfectly centered and held
perfectly square to the work. This doesn't necessarily argue your point, it
only explains why I hold mine.

An offset of 3" or 4"? Those 6" and 8" sweep braces are pretty rare,
although they are good for driving smaller screws. Most of the braces
you'll find are larger. I've got a half dozen or so, with sweeps
ranging from 8" to 14". The 14" brace is capable of driving a #24
screw into hardwood without any great effort. I'm guessing your drill
motor would have a tough time with that, assuming that you could get a
bit to fit it.

Well, it would be interesting to see. I'm not about to say that a drill
motor can drive anything that a brace can - hell, like I said, I don't even
know off the top of my head what a #24 screw looks like. I have to say that
I'd be surprised if it proved that the drill motor couldn't. But then
again, I've been surprised before.

--

-Mike-