Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Koz

Default Sifting Manure

Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Tim Wescott" wrote: (clip) Is there something out there that I can get my
hands on that does this task? It doesn't have to look like what I think
will work, it just needs to separate the rock from the crap.(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you have horses, maybe you have a watering trough that's not in use.
Consider floating the manure and sinking the rocks. I'm pretty sure manure
will float, but you could double check with David Letterman ;-)

We work with topsoil places that do the float method...float off sticks
and such that need to be ground so the rocks don't get into the grinder.
It's just a tank with water flowing on one end (flume) and a conveyor
bottom that pulls the rocks out in the opposite direction of the water flow.

The same thing is used to de-rock potatoes on a volume basis.

Of course the thought of wet sloppy manure is probably not appealing so
I would just sift. Not sure how big a "big ol'" pile is but a simple
screen set at a slope is easy to shovel through by hand. Bigger volumes
than that and I'd go rotary or vibratory, scabbed together from whatever
you can get your hands on.