Posted to rec.woodworking
David

Default Epoxy, PVA, yellow, Gorilla Glue or something else?

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Pete Stolz wrote:
Hi, I'm making a maple workbench top and I need to glue it up. The

plans
(the Veritas Modern Bench) call for epoxy because of the long working

time
or PVA or yellow glue. The epoxy was REALLY expensive, the PVA and

yellow
are not expensive but the working time is not as long.

snip

When it comes to adhesives, after epoxy, everything else is down hill.

You indicate epoxy is "REALLY expensive".

I submit that is a relative term.

Yes, epoxy will be probably 3-6 times more expensive than say TiteBond
II which as about $13-$14/gallon the last time I bought it, but that
cost is not necessarily the final determination.

What percentage of the cost of the total project, does the cost of the
epoxy represent?

My guess is less than 10% of the total project.

Use something that is 50% of the cost of the epoxy and your total
savings are only 5% of the project, but you finished project will have
it's value reduced by far more than 5%.

Glue the strips in groups of 3-4, the glue these groups together.

When everything is glued up, head to the commercial top shop and have
them sand it flat.

Enjoy.

Lew

I think plastic resin glue would be more than adequate for that job, Lew
and a lot cheaper and easier to clean up...

Dave