Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

Default REQ - opinion - these "cold" soldering irons

IMHO: I Actually think it would be much more fun and enlightening to build a
nice Van De Graff and us it to solder the components to the double sided
boards!! Any one that has done any amount of repair within the last 15
years knows that discharging any amount of current across a junction to
solder it can and probably will decrease the longevity of modern
electronics.
"Ray" wrote in message
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xmod-Cold-Heat-Soldering-Iron- (snip)
are they any good? Got a 25 watt antex at the moment that is OK ish, and
can't justify a
three figure pro hot air job,. opinions?

The tip is pretty small and can't heat a very large connection, but the
worst problem is that it puts 6 volts (four AA batts inside) across the
terminals at
the tip... shorting that produces the heat. I wouldn't get near any PC
board
with that toy. You risk torching the components! Another thing: don't
depend
on the tip staying cold like they show in the ads. It does get hot on
larger
solder jobs and can burn you. Not worth it!

Ray

PS I didn't buy one. One was left on my bench by someone who just had to
have
it... and then discovered the shortcomings.

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.