Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Guy Fawkes

Default REQ - opinion - these "cold" soldering irons

These kinds of things

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xmod-Cold-Heat...QQcmdZViewItem

are they any good?

Got a 25 watt antex at the moment that is OK ish, and can't justify a
three figure pro hot air job,.

opinions?

TIA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xmod-Cold-Heat-Soldering-Iron- (snip)
are they any good?
Got a 25 watt antex at the moment that is OK ish, and can't justify a
three figure pro hot air job,. opinions?

The tip is pretty small and can't heat a very large connection, but the worst
problem is that it puts 6 volts (four AA batts inside) across the terminals at
the tip... shorting that produces the heat. I wouldn't get near any PC board
with that toy. You risk torching the components! Another thing: don't depend
on the tip staying cold like they show in the ads. It does get hot on larger
solder jobs and can burn you. Not worth it!

Ray

PS I didn't buy one. One was left on my bench by someone who just had to have
it... and then discovered the shortcomings.

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Art

IMHO: I Actually think it would be much more fun and enlightening to build a
nice Van De Graff and us it to solder the components to the double sided
boards!! Any one that has done any amount of repair within the last 15
years knows that discharging any amount of current across a junction to
solder it can and probably will decrease the longevity of modern
electronics.
"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
GregS

"Ray" wrote in message
[...]

I look for opinion of users, but I don't think I ever have seen a user respond,
only speculators.

greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
CRaSH

GregS wrote:
I look for opinion of users, but I don't think I ever have seen a
user respond,
only speculators.

I think one speculator stated he had one left on his bench, that he
USED.....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
sofie

GregS:
My brother got one for his birthday last month..... IMHO it is nothing more
than a toy.... might be useful for a very occasional solder job like a
soldering a wire on a battery clip or some other light duty job. I tried
several solder jobs and got less than satisfactory results and I certainly
wouldn't use in around and near semiconductor junctions.
So there..... an opinion of a user.
By the way, if you ever take a piece of equipment to a service shop and they
have one of these "cold" soldering irons on the bench..... leave
immediately, don't leave your equipment, find a different shop.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"GregS" wrote in message
return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.

I look for opinion of users, but I don't think I ever have seen a user

respond,
only speculators.

greg

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Guy Fawkes

thanks all, much appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Layton

Completely useless if you need to de-solder something.

Big soldering irons don't run hotter? Zak Electronics Repair 31 March 26th 06 08:31 PM
Soldering advice given! Ivan Vegvary Metalworking 11 June 15th 05 06:30 AM
Soldering T&E Nick Atty UK diy 20 May 24th 05 07:45 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 06:52 AM
beginner's questions about soldering Hoyt McKagen Metalworking 43 December 21st 03 06:23 AM