Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ray

Default REQ - opinion - these "cold" soldering irons

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Xmod-Cold-Heat-Soldering-Iron- (snip)
are they any good?
Got a 25 watt antex at the moment that is OK ish, and can't justify a
three figure pro hot air job,. opinions?

The tip is pretty small and can't heat a very large connection, but the worst
problem is that it puts 6 volts (four AA batts inside) across the terminals at
the tip... shorting that produces the heat. I wouldn't get near any PC board
with that toy. You risk torching the components! Another thing: don't depend
on the tip staying cold like they show in the ads. It does get hot on larger
solder jobs and can burn you. Not worth it!

Ray

PS I didn't buy one. One was left on my bench by someone who just had to have
it... and then discovered the shortcomings.

--

My return addy is spamblocked. To reply, remove the zeroes.