Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Marlow

Default Screwdriver bits for brace

"dadiOH" wrote in message
news:T_xUf.15$ah3.14@trnddc06...

I fear I must disagree with that. A power drill is no substitute for a
brace when it comes to what the OP is talking about. With a brace, it
is easier to apply force parallel to the screw to keep the bit in the
screw head; easier to tweak it out too since the rotation is as slow as
one wants.

Don't fear it - I actually gave those two considerations some thought before
I posted. Decided that the difference in force that one could apply to a
brace versus a drill motor wasn't big enough to be concerned about, and that
a decent variable speed motor will allow you to back a screw out with enough
control. I know I've certainly fought many a stubborn screw out with my
motor. In fact, it seems to me that it would be easier to maintain a well
controlled angle with a drill motor which does not require you to bear into
it while at the same time attempting to turn it.

--

-Mike-