Posted to rec.woodworking
John Martin

Default Screwdriver bits for brace

Tim W wrote:
Reading an old book on boatbuilding, the writer says the _best_ tool for
removing old corroded screws, or any tricky screwing operation is a
screwdriver bit in an old brace (brace & bit cranked hand drill thing).
Sounds like just what I need, but a quick search reveals no source. Were
these items once manufactured? Are they still available? Posi also? in the
uk? with the old square section tapered shank for locking into the chuck of
the brace? Or can the brace be adapted to take a hexagonal shanked bit?

Tim w

You want the screwdriver bits that have a tapered square shank,
designed to be used directly in a bit brace. I've seen them in slotted
and Phillips, but never Posidrive. Stanley, Irwin, Millers Falls are
typical manufacturers.

That said, though, I couldn't find them in any recent catalogs. They
may have been discontinued. Perhaps eBay or one of the antique tool
sellers will be your best source.

I'd stay away from the adapters that take the 1/4" hex bits. They are
OK for smaller screws, but the hex bits just aren't up to the larger
ones. Which are the ones you want the bit brace for.

John Martin