Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man

Default Cover for AC Condensing Unit

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:56:00 GMT, "David Martel"
wrote:

Puddin,

If you remove the condenser's cover every few years,clean and paint it
then it won't rust.

This is pert near what I tried with the old one.

It didn't work. Rusted a bunch. Surface prep was
a severe PITA. Rust would bleed back thru after
painting.

This is routine maintenance. Putting a structure over
the condenser just creates another structure that requires routine
maintenance.

It can, yes. but it can also preserve the unit. You wouldn't think it
in MO, but the sun out there deteriorates most anything muy pronto.

What I'd like is to find good cheap material, make one. If it's
trashed in, say, 5 years, pitch it and make another. Etc, etc.

So far the only candidates are awning grade canvas and plywood.

I might consider maybe something like phenolic if it wasn't
so expensive.

Puddin'