Posted to alt.home.repair
Stretch

Default Question about water heater pressure relief valve is leaking

wrote:
Hi all, first, just want to say that I did some google research and
found this site (very useful):

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...sureRelief.htm

For my problem, I posted some photos he
http://www.picturetrail.com/waterheater

Basically, as you could see in the photo (especially the 1st photo),
you could see the water (the water stain) coming out of the plumber's
putty thingy, so I'm not sure whether I could just caulk or use
plumber's putty to just fill it?? Is this something that I could fix or
DIY by myself? Or should I really consult with a plumber or
professional?? According to the article above, I might have a defective
valve, but it also could be high tank pressure (our neighborhood just
had some seismic upgrade so it could be related).. How could I tell
whether it's the valve problem or the high tank pressure problem?
Thanks!

Five Possibilities:

1) Relief valve is bad, Replace valve

2) Leak is at threaded connection. Shut off water, remove relief
valve, put on new pipe dope and/or teflon tape (NOT putty or silicone)
and screw valve back into tank.

3) Pressure is getting too high in tank. Use pressure gauge to
monitor water pressure in house. Get a gauge that screws onto a hose
bib. Water pressure should be the same all over the house, saves on
making a permanent installation of gauge. If pressure is the problem,
you need a pressure reducing valve or a water heater expansion tank,
depending on the cause. DO NOT put the gauge on the drain valve at the
bottom of the tank. They are rarely good for more than one use without
leaking.

4) Temperature is too high. It is a Temperature AND Pressure Relief
Valve (T&P). If the water gets too hot, it will release. Then you
will need to turn yjr thermostat down or replace the thermostat.

5) Tank is leaking. Replace tank.

From your pictures, it looks like #2 or #5 to me.

Hope this helps.

Stretch