Ed Sirett

Default Central Heating Install: Building Control system/procedures etc

Andy Hall wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 21:37:55 +0100, "James"
wrote:

I missed a word out. I meant to say

My understanding is that fitting **any** hot water cylinder requires either
building
regulations approval, or employing "an approved person

Looking at it again, I think you're right.

Pressurised cylinders are covered by part J which is what I was
thinking about - this is a Health and Safety Issue.

Under part L1 (energy conservation), cylinders become a controlled
fititng. However, for the purpose of complying with part L, I can
find nothing that says that an approved installer must *install* a
vented cylinder. In the Approved Document page 16 it does not even
say that a qualified person is required to commission a cylinder from
the energy conservation point of view.

".... if a suitably qualified certifier is
not available, the person responsible for
carrying out the work should nevertheless
provide or obtain a written declaration of
successful commissioning and make it available
to the client and the building control body."

To this end you will now find that even vented cylinders have
commission label on them requesting the details of the installation and
the signature of a 'competant person'.

I've done a couple of cylinders so far this year but each time the
labels ended up around the back.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk