Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Propane torches

On 23 Mar 2006 05:31:44 -0800, "
wrote:

I could weld once - about 50 years ago - but have lost the art. I now
need to do some brazing, but cant justify expensive kit.

Here in the UK there a lot of plumbers torches, and you have to be
careful about getting the right one for brazing. MAPP gas is OK
apparently, but costs an arm and a leg, so I want to stick to propane.

It appears that propane torches running at about 4 bar get hot enough
without an air supply. Does any one know if this is correct please?
What are the respectable makes? Rothenberger seems to be around a lot.
What about Silverline or Bullfinch??

Any ideas welcome.

David B.

David, have a look at:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/terry...herBurner.html

http://members.optushome.com.au/terr.../BigMongo.html

http://www.abana.org/ronreil/ezburner.shtml

http://www.warnerknives.com/propane_forge.htm
(this one look down near bottom of page)

build your own burner from the ironmonger's, if they still have such a beast in
the UK.

Mike in BC