Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Default Knocking through a wall and re-wiring

Matt wrote:

Hi,

I am converting a fair sized kichen and small dining room into one big
open kitchen/diner and need to take out a wall in between the 2 rooms.
The wall in question is 2.6m wide, and has an arch/walkway in it
already that is about half (1.3m or perhaps slightly more) the width
of the wall. The wall is solid/brick but I don't think it is a
supporting wall - I am no expert, but assume that as a lot of the
wall has already been taken out to make the arch that it can't be
supporting. There is a bathrom directly above this wall, but the
bathroom wall is not directly above - if that makes sense - which
again makes me think its non supporting.

I can't comment on cost, but I'm afraid that your logic is somewhat flawed!

Firstly, there is almost certainly a lintel over the archway - between the
two remaining sections of wall - which is holding up whatever the whole wall
originally held up.

The fact that there is not another wall built directly on top of it doesn't
necessarily mean that it is not load bearing. Depending on the direction of
the joists, it could well be supporting the upstairs floor. If the bathroom
wall is a stud partition built off the floor, and not above another wall,
the wall in question could have a share in supporting the bathroom wall plus
anything supported off that in turn - like upstairs ceiling joists.

Your best bet is to get a structural engineer to look at it *now* and advise
you what needs to be done. If the wall *is* structural, you'll need to
replace the wall with a full length RSJ or similar to support what is above.
If you're lucky, you may be able to install this at the same level as the
joists, so as to have a completely flat ceiling.
--
Cheers,
Roger