Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Knocking through a wall and re-wiring

Hi,

I am converting a fair sized kichen and small dining room into one big
open kitchen/diner and need to take out a wall in between the 2 rooms.
The wall in question is 2.6m wide, and has an arch/walkway in it
already that is about half (1.3m or perhaps slightly more) the width of
the wall. The wall is solid/brick but I don't think it is a supporting
wall - I am no expert, but assume that as a lot of the wall has already
been taken out to make the arch that it can't be supporting. There is
a bathrom directly above this wall, but the bathroom wall is not
directly above - if that makes sense - which again makes me think its
non supporting. I will be getting someone in to assess this properly,
but I'm just looking for a general idea of what this will cost me to
do.

The wall in question also houses my fuse box (not my mains switch, that
is elsewhere) so this would need to be moved aswell - perhaps only
about 50mm onto an adjoining wall.

My question is, roughly how long would this take to do and what should
I expect to pay (I live in central London) someone for doing this? A
friend who rebuilt the majority of his house thinks its about a half
day's job and should cost maybe £500 tops. Is this in the right ball
park or is he miles away on his estimates?!

Many thanks

Matt