Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Default Water Softeners and Water Conditioners

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:14:18 GMT, "Brian Sharrock"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:33:25 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:09:47 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

"- a water treatment unit producing a wastewater discharge or
requiring water for regeneration or cleaning"

(AKA a softener)

********. It means a sewage treatment plant.

big snip

AIUI, dishwaters incorporate a salt-dispensing (and tablets boast of
containg salt) water softener; so are such devices 'caught' by these
regulations?

They *should* be, based on he legislation. Possibly there's an
internal check valve, but I've never heard of one.

Hmm, "interesting ", what?

How does the 'salty' discharge of a dishwasher used two times a
day by a large family compare against a water-softener used by a
two-person
household?

Less because the amount of water being softened is less.

I've become interested in the thread because I'm contemplating installing a
water softener [this fiscal year]. AIUI, the 'Kinetico' dual cylinder model
type only purges a
cylinder with about 16 litres of water. Intuitively the dishwater would
discharge more than this amount each time it was used. How much water is
softened on each dishwasher operation? I purchase about 1Kg of (dishwater)
salt per month ... how does this compare with the salt consumption of a
softener?
--

Brian