Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Question about water heater pressure relief valve is leaking

Hi all, first, just want to say that I did some google research and
found this site (very useful):

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepa...sureRelief.htm

For my problem, I posted some photos he
http://www.picturetrail.com/waterheater

Basically, as you could see in the photo (especially the 1st photo),
you could see the water (the water stain) coming out of the plumber's
putty thingy, so I'm not sure whether I could just caulk or use
plumber's putty to just fill it?? Is this something that I could fix or
DIY by myself? Or should I really consult with a plumber or
professional?? According to the article above, I might have a defective
valve, but it also could be high tank pressure (our neighborhood just
had some seismic upgrade so it could be related).. How could I tell
whether it's the valve problem or the high tank pressure problem?
Thanks!