Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Water Softeners and Water Conditioners

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:56:50 -0000, "Ian_m" wrote:

SNIP

It means (as examples) - water softeners and waste disposers

Look at

http://www.wessexwater.co.uk/uploade...15_ws_regs.pdf

SNIP

I think you lot are right, I should have informed my water company. (whoops
that goes along with the kitchen Part P violation of wiring it into an
existing switched spur in the kitchen !!). When I phoned them to find out my
water hardness, I did explain why I wanted it, but they never mentioned I
need tell them.

They know my address as houses in my area are supplied from two different
sources depending on address and have different hardness. I am supplied from
Twyford and at 19 Clark. (You can visit the old pumping and softening works
here http://www.hants.gov.uk/twt/index.html , no ion exchange, reverse
osmosis here, just add lime to the water in Victorian times).

The water company were more interested/concerned that I was fitting a double
check valve on the incoming main than what I was attaching.

Yes, the concern there is about the risk that brine would enter the
cold water mains in the event of a burst and negative pressure in the
main.

WRC etc. are very keen on the idea of check valves almost everywhere.

Not long ago, I had a conversation with a gentleman there who spoke
with quite a high pitched south Wales accent - a bit like Clive
Jenkins of union notoriety. He explained to me very excitedly
about the necessity of having NR valves on showers, because (he
explained confidentially) of

"certain members of our society who need to wash themselves in a
particular way, and who use the hose from the shower where the sun
don't shine, see......"

(rising to crescendo)

" then drop it in the toilet".

So now we know. Look you.