Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

Default Wise to drill between two ceramic tiles?

wrote in message
ups.com...

David Peters wrote:
I want to hang something up in my kitchen and I need to drill some
holes into the ceramic (pottery) tiles.

I'd like to have a symettrical look and this means drilling one of
the holes right in between two tiles.

I'll use the correct spear-shaped drill bit, apply little pressure
and make sure the bit is kept cool during drilling.

QUESTION: Is drilling between two tiles (they look about 20 years
old) so likely to chip, crack or otherwise damage them that I'd be
much better off drilling somewhere else on the tile?

It's quite possible to drill tiles that are fixed with an ordinary
masonry drill in a hammer drill (pref with variable speed), but it does
depend how they are fixed, ie, how much adhesive is behind the spot you
are drilling. Lots of adhesive and no voids then it's OK.

I really don't understand why the need to do all this wax applying! I have
on many occasions successfully drilled in the grout lines of tiles. The
method I use is to use a tile drill bit in a cordless drill (power drill
will work but usually heavier to hold). Position the drill bit where you
want the hole and with your 'free' hand cup the nose of the drill and start
drilling, at the same time as holding the drill away from the wall slightly.
The drill bit will then cut into the tile edges and oce you have a full
diameter hole drill as normal. I hope that makes sense, it does to me but I
know what I am trying to explain!

HTH

John