Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default Wise to drill between two ceramic tiles?

Ian Stirling wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
David Peters wrote:
I want to hang something up in my kitchen and I need to drill
some holes into the ceramic (pottery) tiles.

I'd like to have a symettrical look and this means drilling
one of the holes right in between two tiles.

I'll use the correct spear-shaped drill bit, apply little
pressure and make sure the bit is kept cool during drilling.

QUESTION: Is drilling between two tiles (they look about 20
years old) so likely to chip, crack or otherwise damage them
that I'd be much better off drilling somewhere else on the
tile?

Never tried it,but if you do drill use the smallest bit first
to drill a pilot hole then proceed with correct size bit..

I would warm the tiles, take another warm tile, covered in wax,
and then apply it to the place that the hole is wanted.
Leave to cool.
Now, drill slowly.
Warm up to remove.

What does the wax do?

It's just a sort of glue, that's easily removable.
Commonly used in precision glassworking.

Great! now how does he cover the tile in wax bearing in mind its
in a vertical position?

It's not vertical. Try reading "take another warm tile, covered in
wax, and then apply it to the place that the hole is wanted" again.

Nope! I'm flummexed as to whats happening here? the op has tiles on
his kitchen wall that are about 20 years old?

Warm the tiles on the wall, using a heater.
Now, take a warm tile that you don't want, and pour some hot, liquid
wax on it.
(take care not to overheat and pour on hands/feet/...)
Apply the tile to the wall, and hold it while it cools.

The idea is that you then drill through the tile you've just applied,
and the hole provides lots of support for the bit, rather than it
bouncing around everywhere.

Thats better, happy as larry now. ;-)
allthough a small masonary bit just a bit bigger than a match will suffice
as it won't bounce then finish off with the normal size.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite