Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.building.construction
Tomes

Default Difference between concrete sealer and concrete paint?

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
. ..

"Calvin Henry-Cotnam" wrote in message
om...
James \Cubby\ Culbertson ) said...

Wrong. While a majority of household dust is shedded skin cells, bare
concrete is a significant source of dust. I am not sure why this is so,
and it has little to do with traffic, so a crawlspace would be just as
prone to concrete dust as a travelled section of floor.

Seal the concrete - it makes a difference.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"

Interesting. I would think you would need some abrasion activity going
on to create the dust. In a crawl space that is used so little, I
wouldn't think that would occur much. Does concrete just "flake" off
(for lack of better wording) on it's own? I've seen old homes where the
basements were covered in dust coming from the floors above. The cloth
on the joists solved that problem. Of course, I don't recall what was on
the floor.
Cheers,
cc

I have a crawl space under one room and it has a cement floor. I use it to
store stuff that I access maybe a dozen times a year or so. The floor is
rough enough that I avoid going in there in short pants to save my knees. I
have zero dust problem in there; nothing is dusty at all. It does not come
up from the bottom when I shuffle around in there and it does not come down
from the top. Mid 70s construction.

Perhaps somehow identifying exactly what the dust source is would help in
determining the cure so that treating the floor when the problem is not the
floor (if that is the case) would not be wasted effort and cash. How to do
this identifying is the question that this poses. Maybe looking at it under
a microscope or subjecting it to some chemical test (like whatever dissolves
concrete only, whatever that is). Something to think about anyway.
Tomes