Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Water Softeners and Water Conditioners

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 15:51:22 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 14:51:23 -0000, Ian_m wrote:

Lots of misinformation he-

I agree.

- Soft water from a softener contains sodium carbonate rather than
calcium/magnesium carbonate, the hardness.

Agreed. I said "[ion exchanger] Turns Sodium Chloride and Calcium
Carbonate into Sodium Carbonate and Calcium Chloride"

- You use less soap as soap is not being consumed by reacting with the hard
water. Basic hard water reaction is sodium stearate (soap) + calcium
carbonate (hardness) - calcium stearate (scum) + sodium carbonate. Soft
water contains sodium carbonate and doesn't react with the soap, so all the
soap goes into cleaning rather than scum making.

Agreed. I said "soft water does not require as much detergent for the
same cleaning power. Part of the detergent is used up in softening the
water."

- You don't have to have a water meter.

Agreed. If fact you use less water in the long run, it rinses better.

- You don't have to ask the water company.

Agreed. See above.

In fact you do have to tell the water company that you have a softener
(according to DEFRA). This also negates your right not to have a
meter. This means that the water company *may* insist that you have
one.

--

..andy