Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default Wise to drill between two ceramic tiles?

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Ian Stirling wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
David Peters wrote:
I want to hang something up in my kitchen and I need to drill some
holes into the ceramic (pottery) tiles.

I'd like to have a symettrical look and this means drilling one of
the holes right in between two tiles.

I'll use the correct spear-shaped drill bit, apply little pressure
and make sure the bit is kept cool during drilling.

QUESTION: Is drilling between two tiles (they look about 20 years
old) so likely to chip, crack or otherwise damage them that I'd be
much better off drilling somewhere else on the tile?

Never tried it,but if you do drill use the smallest bit first to
drill a pilot hole then proceed with correct size bit..

I would warm the tiles, take another warm tile, covered in wax, and
then apply it to the place that the hole is wanted.
Leave to cool.
Now, drill slowly.
Warm up to remove.

What does the wax do?

It's just a sort of glue, that's easily removable.
Commonly used in precision glassworking.