Posted to rec.woodworking
Patriarch

Default Epoxy, PVA, yellow, Gorilla Glue or something else?

"Pete Stolz" wrote in
:

Hi, I'm making a maple workbench top and I need to glue it up. The
plans (the Veritas Modern Bench) call for epoxy because of the long
working time or PVA or yellow glue. The epoxy was REALLY expensive,
the PVA and yellow are not expensive but the working time is not as
long. Do I need to worry about their water vulnerabilities? (Not
that I'm gonna be working in a pool or anything.) If I do need to go
the epoxy route, where can I get it, and which one?
Thanks,
Pete

You COULD use epoxy, but the extended working time doesn't really buy you
much, in comparison to the added costs and additional fuss. None of the
"build your own heritage bench" articles I've seen in the last 5 years used
anything other than PVA glues to laminate a benchtop...

I used Titebond Original and McFeeley's screws to do mine, but then, it was
layering good grade plywood into a 2.25" thick top, which I regularly
abuse. A reject firedoor from the oops pile at the doorbuilder makes a
pretty good benchtop, too.

If you're planning on regularly getting your benchtop wet, you may need to
take another road.

Patriarch