Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

Default Built in gas oven under a inset gas hob

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:20:04 +0000, wrote:

Chris Cowley wrote:

However, it does recommend 8mm copper tube (and the oven is supplied
with an 8mm to 1/2" BSP nut and olive). As 8mm is fairly "bendy", I
guess I could leave enough extra for the oven to be pulled out the 200mm
or so to allow the union nut to be connected before pushing the whole
shebang into place, but I am not sure if doing that would be frowned
upon or not.

Good God! Don't do that! The copper pipe will work harden and fracture
behind the oven.

I've just re-read the installation instructions and I must have missed
it previously, but this is exactly how the installation instructions for
the oven tell you how to do it, in fact:-

1. Partially insert the oven into the recess (about 30cm) and operate
on the connection ramp from above...
1B. Insert the 8mm copper pipe into the connection ramp after fitting
the proper nut and olive...
2. Tighten the nuts by means of a 22mm spanner...
3. Completely insert the oven into the recess and secure it as
indicated...
4. Check for perfect sealing of the connection using leak detection
fluid...

As I can't see that this contravenes any of the safety regs, I think
I've just convinced myself that this is exactly what I'm going to do!
--
Chris Cowley