Alan Kamrowski II

Default Drilling metal control panel advice...

Hi,

Thanks for posting--I really appreciate your help.

A hole saw will likely give you a rough and possibly out-of-round hole.

Also
hole saws cut larger than their listed size so test accordingly.

I really only have one of these to do, so I am trying to do it the best way
I can without spending much on tools. I'm pretty lucky in that the buttons
have a bit of overhang that should hang over the cut can should be a little
forgiving. But, the large cut (for a trackball) is 2 1/4" and I'm concerned
about how it will look. If I do end up having to use a hole saw, do you
have any other recommendations on the best way to do it and still have the
panel look good?

Should I cut from the top or bottom?

When you say a light feed, you mean low pressure when drilling?

What kind of fluid should I use? Apply it once when beginning or more?

Should I take my time--drill a little bit, then let it cool, then drill
again, etc?

Thanks!

Alan