Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Anyone with experience of using LEDs for display lighting?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:31:18 GMT, "." wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| White LEDs are very *white*

Which is what *I* see.

|IME they are very /blue/ especially when compared to incandescent
|lighting. I have an LED torch with the option of 3 hyperbright LEDs,
|6 hyperbrights and one incandescent bulb. you have to cycle through
|all three states to switch on and off and the /blue/ spectrum of the
|LEDs is in stark relief to the yellow of the incandescent bulb.

What you are seeing is the *difference* between the light sources.

|very blue, very cold.

Colour is a very personal thing, we all see colours differently, and only
know that red is red because we were taught that as children. When I was
a kid at school, we had a talk from a bloke from the then ICI Dyestuffs
Division. He had a simple sequence of deyed pieces of cloth from light
green to dark brown, and another single patch which we had to match against
one of the set. We all matched the singleton to different places in the
sequence. That has stuck with me for mumble years.

The human eye with the brain is a very strange combination. After a while
it judges whatever it thinks is white as white, whatever the actual
wavelengths of light it receives.

And that is not the mention colour blindness.