DeepDiver

Default Drilling metal control panel advice...

"Alan Kamrowski II" wrote in message

I am going to need to drill a 2 1/4" and 10 or so 1 1/8" holes in
[sheet] metal
I have a drill press and plan (so far) to drill using a lenox
bimetal hole saw.

A hole saw will likely give you a rough and possibly out-of-round hole. Also
hole saws cut larger than their listed size so test accordingly.

I would recommend a step drill (like those made by Unibit) for the 1-1/8"
holes; these drills make very nicely-sized and very round holes in sheet
metal:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

However, I don't know if they make bits large enough to cut the 2-1/4" hole.
If not, you may want to try a single-point hole cutter (basically a
trepanning tool); General Tool makes one:

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMK3

If you use this, go very slow (RPM), use a light feed, and clamp your work
very firmly. Also, use a thick, dense backing board (like MDF) under your
workpiece.

If you can use flood coolant during these operations, that will help save
your powdercoat from burning/discoloring/bubbling.