Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Default Anyone with experience of using LEDs for display lighting?

The Wanderer wrote:
I'm in the process of turning an old hall cupboard into a display cabinet.
The cabinet will be floor to ceiling, nominal height of 2.3m x 1.2m wide,
carcased - the walls aren't brilliant for display purposes, internally
finished in a satin lustre ivory colour, two full size glass doors and two
glass shelves, which should help with light distribution inside the
cupboard.

My initial thoughts are for two vertical rows of white LED striplights
hidden behind each architrave. I like the idea of LEDs because of the
minimal heat dissipation.

The heat is about the same either with LEDs or halogens, it's just more
spread out with LED.

I would consider 2 - probably dimmed fluorescant tubes down the sides.

First step is to work out how many lumens you want in there.

You need to put some sort of light source in there, probably 4 points,
and see what it's like in various conditions.