Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Anyone with experience of using LEDs for display lighting?

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:20:09 +0000, The Wanderer wrote:

|I'm in the process of turning an old hall cupboard into a display cabinet.
|The cabinet will be floor to ceiling, nominal height of 2.3m x 1.2m wide,
|carcased - the walls aren't brilliant for display purposes, internally
|finished in a satin lustre ivory colour, two full size glass doors and two
|glass shelves, which should help with light distribution inside the
|cupboard.
|
|My initial thoughts are for two vertical rows of white LED striplights
|hidden behind each architrave. I like the idea of LEDs because of the
|minimal heat dissipation.

Saw some of those at Maplins, but not lit

|Some questions:-
|
|Am I going to be better off with a continuous strip down each side, or
|should i be looking at 3 pairs of strips, one for each display area?
|
|How much useful light do LEDs give for this purpose?
|
|Are the strips likely to be enough, or should I also be installing a couple
|of wide angle LED floods in the top of the cabinet
|
|What is the colour like with white LEDs? Is it extremely harsh and cold?

White LEDs are very *white*, a lot different from incandescent or warm
white fluorescent or ordinary energy saving bulbs. The difference of
having Leeds in a room generally lit by any of the above will be *very*
noticeable. Get a cheap LED torch to demonstrate the effect. It is
possible to get white florescent which match LEDs, but I am not sure where.
I have some in a reading lamp I got from Lidl recently.