Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Wanderer

Default Anyone with experience of using LEDs for display lighting?

I'm in the process of turning an old hall cupboard into a display cabinet.
The cabinet will be floor to ceiling, nominal height of 2.3m x 1.2m wide,
carcased - the walls aren't brilliant for display purposes, internally
finished in a satin lustre ivory colour, two full size glass doors and two
glass shelves, which should help with light distribution inside the
cupboard.

My initial thoughts are for two vertical rows of white LED striplights
hidden behind each architrave. I like the idea of LEDs because of the
minimal heat dissipation.

Some questions:-

Am I going to be better off with a continuous strip down each side, or
should i be looking at 3 pairs of strips, one for each display area?

How much useful light do LEDs give for this purpose?

Are the strips likely to be enough, or should I also be installing a couple
of wide angle LED floods in the top of the cabinet

What is the colour like with white LEDs? Is it extremely harsh and cold?

--
the dot wanderer at tesco dot net