Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default Simplest possible way to construct furniture?

(in
) said:

| I'm a complete beginner, I've never did any woodworking.
| How difficult would it be for me to construct some simple pieces of
| furniture (e.g. desk, closet, bed) and what is the easiest method? I
| wouldn't mind a rather ragged or basic look, however I live in a big
| city so that might limit my options as regarding to what I can
| easily build.

Probably not very difficult. The easiest method would probably be
pocket hole joinery. During my last extended business trip, I used
common 2x4, 2x6, and 1x12 lumber (and three hollow core doors) to
build a dining table, coffee table, and bookcase computer desk that
looked good and worked well. I think the total cost was under $100 -
and when I was ready to return home, it was all carried away for me by
two happy young couples.

Something to consider: If you build carefully with inexpensive
materials, you'll find ways to do better *and* you'll feel that you
can afford to do so. The danger in this approach lies in addiction to
the satisfaction that comes with each piece you design/redesign and
build/rebuild. You've been warned...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar