Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Simplest possible way to construct furniture?

Hi,
I'm a complete beginner, I've never did any woodworking.
How difficult would it be for me to construct some simple pieces of
furniture (e.g. desk, closet, bed) and what is the easiest method? I
wouldn't mind a rather ragged or basic look, however I live in a big
city so that might limit my options as regarding to what I can easily
build.

Thanks in adavance,
Ido.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I'm a complete beginner, I've never did any woodworking.
How difficult would it be for me to construct some simple pieces of
furniture (e.g. desk, closet, bed) and what is the easiest method? I
wouldn't mind a rather ragged or basic look, however I live in a big
city so that might limit my options as regarding to what I can easily
build.

Desk is easily made with two 2 drawer file cabinets and a hollow core door.
You can make one with a sheet of plywood too.

Bed frame can be 2 x 6's. Closet can be a frame of 2 x 3's and a plywood
covering.

How basic or refined do you want to be? What do you have in the way of
tools or be willing to buy?

People that live in cities make stuff too, not just country folk. Many a
power tool has been fired up in a three room apartment. Depends on your
tolerance to sawdust.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Rick Samuel

Many a power tool has been fired up in a three room apartment. Depends
on your tolerance to sawdust.

And the tolerance of neighbors to noise...

Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Giblin

Look into any classes offered by the local voctech high school. That's how
I started. They can give you the basic instruction, help designing your
projects, and you can use their power tools.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi,
I'm a complete beginner, I've never did any woodworking.
How difficult would it be for me to construct some simple pieces of
furniture (e.g. desk, closet, bed) and what is the easiest method? I
wouldn't mind a rather ragged or basic look, however I live in a big
city so that might limit my options as regarding to what I can easily
build.

Thanks in adavance,
Ido.

Posted to rec.woodworking
FriscoSoxFan

Depends on what you want and why you want to build. If it is to save
money, then there are some creative ideas out there to be had,
especially if you like the modern look.

Consider a desk made of glass bricks and Shelving boards. Easy to make,
and if done carefully (I.E. actually mortaring the bricks) and with
more some intricate design, it can look pretty nice.

For a closet, you can use iron pipe made into a basic frame with boards
for shelves and fabric stretched across it to fill it in.

A bed is trickier as it has to support weight. One option is to use a
harvard frame procured at a second-hand store for the box spring and
take a simple sheet of plywood and upholster it for the headboard. Use
the same fabric as for the closet and you are in business. To upholter,
staple gun batting to the "show" side, then cover with fabric and
staple from the back.

Call your style "College casual"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dhakala wrote:
wrote:
Hi,
I'm a complete beginner, I've never did any woodworking.
How difficult would it be for me to construct some simple pieces of
furniture (e.g. desk, closet, bed) and what is the easiest method?

Forget wood.

http://www.fedexfurniture.com/

That guy's a genius.

-Phil Crow

Posted to rec.woodworking
Guess who

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 16:22:54 +1200, Peter Huebner
wrote:

I'm a complete beginner, I've never did any woodworking.
How difficult would it be for me to construct some simple pieces of
furniture (e.g. desk, closet, bed) and what is the easiest method? I
wouldn't mind a rather ragged or basic look,

Assuming that this is just another troll...

Try some rough-sawn planks on a pile of bricks. Don't ask how thick,
just try a few, and if they break get some thicker ones.

Why do people send this crap? Go to your library and read a book, or
take a course like anyone else.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bent

when reading and learning the basics of wood and joints, movement and
moisture concerns are everywhere. I like thinking of it as a challenge. The
basic joinery is not that hard to do. When you know what is going on it is
easy to think how to do it. You can use the simplewst of materials and have
the best of design. Pinned mortise and tenon joint is an example of a
personal turn on. I like the look of mission furniture for this reason.

Indonesian Furniture Chris Woodworking 3 January 24th 06 07:38 AM
Indonesian Furniture Chris Woodworking 0 January 23rd 06 07:26 PM
Best Leather furniture style store dealer Steve Home Ownership 1 November 25th 03 12:49 PM
Best place to buy your new leather furniture Steve Home Ownership 0 November 20th 03 02:02 AM
Pro vs Hobbyist Furniture Makers charlie b Woodworking 44 November 19th 03 07:08 PM