jim rozen

Default How do you adjust the cutter bit on Aloris Tool Holders

In article , DoN. Nichols says...

How tall was the cutoff blade? Mine are too tall to fit in the
1/2" slot for the Emco toolholders, and I don't remember the Enco being
that much taller.

Just a half inch tall. But because I used one of my home-made
boring/turning holders, the V-grove in the bottom allows
the blade to drop enough so that the setscrews are dropped
below the top of the 1/2 inch slot before they touch down
on the blade top. I always use the (soft) home made
tool holder blocks because I don't think the factory
made ones, which are hard, would be compliant enough
when the bottom of the HSS blad is forced into the slot.
I'd be worried about cracking the bottom of the blade
in that case.

One of the disadvantages of the rake on the Aloris style holders
is that if you loosen the blade to extend it for deeper parting cuts,
or pull it in for more rigidity for harder materials (or even just
sharpen it by re-grinding the tip), you have to re-adjust the
height-setting nut.

That is a real annoyance, I agree. And my zero rake holders
seem to do every bit as good a job as the aloris ones.
Go figure.

Jim

please reply to: