DoN. Nichols

Default How do you adjust the cutter bit on Aloris Tool Holders

In article ,
tomcas wrote:

[ ... ]

Oops, I meant Phase 2. I chalk it up to old age or the subconscious
attempt to erase all memory of that brand. Seriously, the difference in
quality is like night and day. Take for instance the combo tool that
hold triangular inserts on each end. When it is used on one side of the
block if faces and when it is installed on the other side of the block
it turns. Unfortunately, the heights of the insert pockets are different
on the Phase 2 you have to re-adjust the tool height (or shim) each
time you change from facing to turning. The Aloris is dead nuts. The
insert clamps on the Phase 2 are cheaply constructed. The Aloris has
insert clamps that are fully adjustable and include integral brazed
carbide chip breakers.

O.K. I've never seen the Phase-II version of this, and did not
know that they made that style at all. I have a genuine Aloris for that
style, and a few other special styles as well. I'll agree that a
discrepancy in heights of the pockets on either end is a "show-stopper".

But, for the normal turning and boring style tool holders, I'm
still using the ones which came with my Phase-II (wedge style) toolpost.
The one which I am *not* using from that set (at least, not for its
intended purpose) is the knurling tool, which I consider to be close to
useless. I do use the other end of it from time to time to hold a
facing tool.

I have used a scissors style knurling tool quite a bit in a
standard Aloris tool holder, and later got an Aloris one which has the
two knurling rolls held in two arms on dovetails on a BXA style base.
This works quite well for my needs.

But for most of my knurling, I use a T-headed one designed for
turret use -- as long as I don't need to knurl too far onto the
workpiece.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564