DoN. Nichols

Default How do you adjust the cutter bit on Aloris Tool Holders

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

[ ... ]

If this grind is done with back angle, then the
cutting tool has both side, and back rake as
well. Many folks feel that back rake is essential
to good cutting, I've never found that to be true.

There is one exception -- which is already taken care of in the
quick-change tool holders for Aloris style toolposts. That is the
parting tool, which is mounted in its holder with a built-in rake angle.
Since the parting tool cuts purely on its tip, this makes sense. (And
you can grind a chipbreaker notch just behind the front edge on top, if
you so desire. (And for deep parting cuts, it is a good thing to have,
depending on the workpiece material.)

This is the only Aloris style tool holder that I have used which
introduces rake angles, other than the Aloris 16N, which holds
triangular inserts directly, and introduces a *negative* rake for those
inserts designed to use that rake. The 16P (I believe) introduces *no*
rake, depending on the design of the proper insert to provide the
clearance and rake.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564