Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Utidjian

Default Tires for Rockwell 20" bandsaw

John Martin wrote:
David Utidjian wrote:

Our Rockwell 20" bandsaw has rubber "tires" on each wheel. The wheels
are cast aluminum with a central V shaped groove. The tires have
hardened over the years and are now just fragments.

Does anyone know of a source for such parts?

Is it dangerous to run the saw without them?

Thanks.

-DU-...etc...

There are dozens of sources for new tires. Carter Products, Iturra
Design and Delta (Rockwell) are just a few.

That was just it. I looked at about a half dozen of the first hits I got
with a google search and could not find exactly what I wanted. This a
rather old Rockwell and I didn't find Delta's site to be very helpful.

Running without tires probably wouldn't hurt the blades, but you'd sure
tear up the wheels. Also, wheels that take tires are designed to have
the tires crowned - which is what keeps the blade from running off.

Yeah the wheels are already showing wear. The saw is offline for now. It
also needs a new blade of which I have several in stock.

Looking at the profile of the old tires it does appear that it was crowned.

I have never welded a bandsaw blade before (I have the manual). Would
you recommend welding or silver brazing?

Thanks.

-DU-...etc...