Posted to alt.home.repair
John Richards

Default Vinyl siding blown off by wind

The house was originally built in 1987 with "Thermoply" sheathing (a 1/8 in
thick silver surfaced material which meets local code - Ryan Homes still
uses the stuff) with vinyl siding over the Thermoply. I had never had a
problem (other than fading and getting tired of the color) with the original
vinyl siding for 16 years (I suspect the siding was nailed to the studs).
The new siding was installed over a layer of Tyvek wrap and a layer of 1/2
in foamboard nailed over the Thermoply which is the normal procedure for the
contractors from whom I had gotten estimates.

A piece of siding in one of the two areas pulled loose within a year of the
installation and the contractor nailed it back up. Now, after 2 1/2 years,
siding in the same area and also in another area were pulled completely off
the house. I'm sure the heavy winds were responsible for the siding being
pulled off, but my problem is that there was very little similar damage to
other vinyl clad houses in the neighborhood (most of which were built with
1/2 in OSB) or in the general area, but mine sustained considerable damage
that seems out of line with what happened in the surrounding area. I
suspect that when the new siding was installed that it was not nailed to the
studs as I had assumed, but just through the foamboard and into the
Thermoply and that is why the nails pulled out. I am currently trying to
find out if there are any local codes addressing the installation of vinyl
siding over Thermoply and if there is, and the contractor didn't install the
siding according to code, I will persue the matter, otherwise I will try to
have it taken care of through insurance.

I am putting a lot of time and energy into this rather than just relying on
insurance because I feel I spent good money to have a job done right and if
it wasn't I think it is up to the contractor to make it right. Besides, if
everyone relies on insurance to correct poor workmansip by contractors,
everyones insurance rates will go up - also I would have to pay a $250
deductable.

Thanks to those who commented,
John

"Art" wrote in message
link.net...
Who installed the sheathing and picked out the type to use. That could be
the problem. Either that or the contractor did not use the right nails or
enuf nails putting up the siding. Check gaps between holes and that will
tell you if enuf nails were used.

"John Richards" wrote in message
news
There were wind gusts of up to 65 mph recorded at a nearby airport about
a month ago which ripped off a total of about 100 sq feet of my vinyl
siding in two separate areas of my house. The nail slots in the siding
were not torn, the siding pulled the nails right out. The siding was
installed about 2 1/5 years ago and the work was warranteed against all
material and labor defects for 25 years. The contractor is claiming that
the siding coming loose was "obviously" not from a work defect as the
wind gusts were so high - he was claiming 100 to 200 mph which is a bunch
of BS. He says that my homeowners insurance should pay for it. My
question is, can anyone refer me to any kind of code or standard for
installation of vinyl siding specifying what kind of wind speeds it
should hold up to without coming lose from the house? I'm tired of being
jerked around.

Thanks,
John